Thursday 17 January 2013

A Dark Inheritance - Chapter One

Chapter One


I kept walking straight ahead as I blinked the water from my eyes. I was struck by the beauty of the faint glistening light that shone across the ocean, and the audible force of the waves echoing from the rocks far below.
I felt so empty as I stripped myself of all clothing and neared the edge of the cliff. I wanted to leave this world just as naked as the day I was pushed into it. I needed an end to the eternal struggle I was dealing with everyday; I just couldn’t take it anymore, I couldn’t carry on trying to be a part of this society when I felt so cursed, so unlucky and so shadowed under everyone else’s optimism.

Each step forward reminded me just how cold it was under my feet. The damp grass and concrete sent a chill through me as I neared my destiny. I knew that today would be the last day I’d spend alive on this earth, and the wonders of tomorrow would never be seen. I didn’t really see them as ‘wonders’- they were more like obstacles to climb over - and if everything I faced was a massive obstacle, with nothing positive offered in return then why would anyone want to carry on?

I’d planned this for some time, and had double-checked everything on my ‘to do’ list. With a small but powerful handgun in my grasp I felt my breathing quicken as I came to the edge and heard the hiss of the waves below racing towards the cliff and splashing on top of the rocks. I just couldn’t decide how to go: I could close my eyes and keep walking until I fell, or I could blast a bullet into the side of my head. I stood at the very edge now, scared out of my mind knowing that once I go through with it there’d be nothing forever; although I wouldn’t be aware of it.

All the words I’d learned how to say and spell, all the colours I’d seen and enjoyed and the sounds and smells that had brought back memories of a certain person or place would all be gone. Everything my brain had stored from my pathetic life would be deleted, and my existence would mean nothing. I sat down on the wet concrete as the crashing waves continued to break up, and my head began to shake involuntarily at the thought of what I was about to do.

I’d managed to live for 28 years, and had nothing to show for it. Everyone I knew had something to keep them going - a reason to live. They had children that needed attention, partners that gave and received love, and jobs that paid enough money for them and their families to afford a good life. I envied that they had what it took to really live life, and I knew that I wasn’t living it; I merely existed while trying to get through it all until death. Why wait any longer?

I clenched the gun as my choice, knowing it would be an instant end, while the distant fall towards the cold rocks below would leave the possibility of critical injury. I didn’t want to lie in pain for hours, and then somehow recover in hospital to then go back to square one; I needed this to end – tonight. I pressed the gun into the side of my head and tried not to think about anything.

With my index finger poised on the trigger I was breathing in and out much quicker, and I felt like crying for all I was worth; I didn’t shed a single tear. I clenched my eyes shut hard as I awaited the imminent blast.

A warm and distant voice caught my attention. ‘Don’t do it!’ I turned around and saw nothing but the darkened grass, trees and the sky surrounding me. The only movement I noticed was a few leaves kicked up by the fresh breeze, nothing else. I thought I was hearing things, but as I turned back I heard the same voice. ‘This isn’t the way, Victor.’ Again I turned around, but saw nothing.
   ‘Who are you?’ I asked. Ironically I felt scared. Panic took hold of me, as I thought it unlikely that anyone would be around at this midnight hour. ‘Where are you?’ I asked squinting my eyes to see through the night. I couldn’t see any movement at all, and knew the voice wasn’t just my imagination.

Just then, a figure emerged from behind a tree not far away. My heart skipped a beat as it began to move towards me. I’ve seen the image of the grim reaper before on television and in magazines, and what was moving towards me looked exactly the same - although I didn’t see a scythe. I gulped as the figure got close, and all I could see was a black cloak dragging ripples of its length behind. ‘Stand up, Victor,’ the voice demanded. I complied and stood next to the cliff’s edge as the figure stopped.
   ‘How do you know my name? Who are…’
   ‘Don’t worry, I’m here to help.’ I’m beyond help, I thought to myself. I knew I’d given up all hope of any future.
   ‘I know you have,’ said the soothing voice, ‘but killing yourself is not the answer Victor, there is another way; please believe me.’ I thought I’d tried everything to make something of myself, but bad luck I’d never been able to shake off seemed to have attached itself to me since birth. 

I was now standing a few feet away from the figure as it moved closer, and I felt a sweet breath on my face as it held its arms up and gripped the hood. I stared intently, curious to see the face of the voice that had prevented my death.

The hood was lowered, and what I saw was so heavenly to me. The young woman facing me had a beauty beyond anything I’d ever dreamed about. My heart began to race again like never before as I took everything in; the smooth contours of her skin, the sublime colours that enhanced a silk-like perfection and the sparkle radiating from her eyes. I absorbed them all, and started feeling something new. She wore a smile of sincerity as she began to unbutton the front of her cloak. I realised I was standing stark naked in front of her. The more she exposed herself the more my blood seemed to dive towards my groin.
  
She inched forward until we were almost touching, and let the remainder of her cloak drop to the grass making me grow to a rigidity I’d never known before; but I was still hesitant. ‘I did say there was another way,’ she said with a wonderful smile that made me want to melt right into her. I tried to be as strong as I could. I stared downwards at her slender legs until my vision reached the grass, and then felt myself being pulled towards her, away from the edge of the cliff. I looked into her eyes and was then pushed backwards landing on my back. My eyes flew back to hers, and I noticed the stars surrounding her face as her eyes stared directly into mine.
   ‘Why are you here?’
   ‘Do you really want to live, Victor?’ she asked as her gaze widened above me. I wasn’t sure what to say; her scent filled me with a closeness I’d never felt before, and I didn’t want to leave.
   ‘Yes, I do want to live, but not the same way I have been.’ She lowered herself and kissed me, and I noticed her grin building. She smiled and kissed me even deeper as she lowered herself onto my hardness; it felt so good, and I knew I’d be happy to live this life after all. Her arms reached around my neck and held on tightly as we began a steady sexual rhythm. I wasn’t sure what to think, but was glad I hadn’t pulled the trigger when I’d had the chance. We continued uninterrupted and my hands were all over her. She stopped.
   ‘I can give you a life of over a thousand years,’ she said, almost whispering the words. I could see sweat cascading down from her neck and over her breasts as she began the movements again. I felt on top of the world, but knew I was getting close.
   ‘Yes… yes, I want to live!’ I was so hot. Realising that at any moment this would be over I pressed down on her thighs to slow us, but she was in complete control and kept the rhythm continual.
   I felt only seconds away as she moved her head down towards mine. I thought she was going to kiss again, but she began to lick my neck. Pinned under her, she took one last look at me as my orgasm reached; I felt sick as I saw the fangs. I cried out at the top of my lungs. The pain was so extreme as blood gushed all over my chest. A feeling of slow motion swept over me as I heard my heart beat slowing. I felt weak, and my eyelids felt weighted as I fought unsuccessfully to keep them open before I heard a slurping noise close to my ear. I finally passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment