Sunday 13 January 2013

A Dark Inheritance - Chapter Three


Chapter Three



The subtle morning breeze with the sun’s warmth felt so nice as it caressed my skin, though I was fully aware, terrifyingly aware, that I’d soon fear it; and I’d never feel its magnificence again. The thought of a life in darkness, lurking within shadows, was too much to comprehend, and was something I wasn’t looking forward too.
  
   I’d been walking for what felt like hours, and the closer I got to my recent life the more sadness and regret built up in me. I should have simply tried to live my life, struggling from one day to the next until death happened naturally.
   This would be the last time I’d ever see my family, and I knew I was going to miss them so much. I could only imagine what I’d put each of them through, and I hoped that, with time, their lives would get back to normal; deep down I foolishly hoped they’d already forgotten about me.
  
   I turned the last corner and kept walking towards the house. I wanted to see my parents and my brother, David, one last time to watch as they pottered around the house going about their daily lives, and to absorb the smells acquainted with the house where I’d felt safe.
   With the house right in front of me, I sat on the brick wall close to the pavement and waited for any sign of life to come from inside. Nothing happened for a while, so I decided to move closer, and as I neared the front door it opened as my Dad left for work; I leapt inside just before he’d turned around and closed it.
   After catching my reflection in the hallway mirror, something drew my attention downwards towards a wooden shelf where the mail was always placed. Leaning against the wall was a large dusty black envelope with my name on it. I took a closer look, and the red words looked at though they’d been written with blood, with the fourth letter of my name resembling a cross. I reached to pick it up, but just as I did my Mum walked into the hallway and I thought that perhaps she’d see the envelope move by itself. The last thing I wanted to do was to scare her, so I left it there.
   I went to the kitchen where my brother was sat at the breakfast table; he looked happy enough, but was playing with his cereal more than eating it. What I saw next made my racing heart thump even louder in my chest. Just above David’s shoulder, on a shelf where the dishes were stored, I saw another dusty black envelope. I walked over to it and it looked identical with my name written in exactly the same way. ‘Mum, please, you need to stop crying,’ David pleaded before dropping his spoon into his cereal bowl. I joined his stare and saw Mum wiping her eyes in the doorway. She kept sniffling as she walked over to the table, and I wanted more than anything to tell her that everything would be OK.
   ‘I’m sorry, David,’ she said, wiping her eyes again. ‘If they’d have found his body, at least… at least we’d know what happened.’ For a split second I’d forgotten what I’d become and I walked over to hug her, but her gaze failed to meet mine, and I walked right through her.
   ‘It’s possible that he’s out there somewhere, maybe staying with a friend,’ David suggested, forcing a half smile. The only response he got was a sigh and a shake of the head.
   ‘He didn’t have any real friends. Victor didn’t make friends very easily - we both know that. I just hope that someone finds him; not knowing what’s happened to him is eating me up inside,’ Mum said. I could see tears begin to well up in her eyes.
   Guilt wasn’t a strong enough word for what I was feeling, and the worst thing was that there was nothing I could do to make the situation any better. I took one last look around. The living room was far cleaner than usual, and I knew that Mum had been scrupulously cleaning to divert attention from her feelings. I scanned the room and stopped at the mantle piece where another dusty black envelope sat; again it looked identical, as did the one on the pillow upstairs in my old room, where everything was just as I’d left it.
   A thought then crossed my mind - I should have picked up the first envelope, as it was obvious that only I could see it. I was nervous about what the contents may be, and thought that perhaps Violet, or one of the others had placed them in the rooms to explain something they didn’t want to say to my face.

   After hearing David leave for school, I walked past another black envelope sat on a shelf near the bathroom door. Inside the bathroom I saw another envelope on the window ledge and, I don’t know why, but I instinctively went to close the door causing it to creak; I’d forgotten it did that. ‘Victor… Victor, Is that you?’ my Mum screamed from downstairs. I stopped in my tracks, but then remembered that I was completely invisible to her. She ran up the stairs and into the bathroom, looking around but seeing no one. Seeing the hurt on her face made the regret for what I’d tried to do to myself resurface. She began to move the door backwards and forwards to duplicate the sound she thought came from my touch. She always seemed as though she didn’t really care much for me before; I had no idea that, all this time, I’d meant so much to her. Moments later she sighed and went downstairs, I felt awful.
  
   Reaching for the envelope on the window ledge, I noticed the reflection of the envelope near the bathroom door in the mirror and, as I lifted the envelope in front of me, I saw the other rise up as if lifted by an invisible force. Stamped on the back was a dark red seal with a thin strand of cotton running up and down either side. I wanted to open it straight away, but I also felt a need to stay at home and relax in the surroundings I was once used to. I knew that wouldn’t be an option for much longer.

   For the next hour or so, I just sat in a chair and watched as Mum went about her daily routine of vacuuming the floor, cleaning and dusting the furniture and washing the dishes. Once she’d sat down with a coffee and the crossword section of the newspaper I studied her face, and I just hoped that one day soon she’d move on with her life. She opened the back door to allow warm air to circulate through the house, and I took that as my cue; I walked out for the last time.

   Once outside I tried to relax in the mid-morning glow, but as I started to feel a little better I heard my stomach rumble, and immediately realised I hadn’t eaten since waking up - perhaps even for the last nine days. I craved a burger, but knew I couldn’t simply go and buy one as I had no money, and I was invisible to everyone except for those who knew. 
   I remembered the way back to the warehouse easily and, after taking a free ride on a bus in the right direction for a couple of miles, I stepped back onto the ground at a fast food restaurant. The door was already open, and the place was bustling with customers ordering food, eating food and having a good time. I saw a well-dressed family of four walking towards a table close to where I was, and just after the two kids had placed their trays of junk food on the table I snatched their burgers and ran outside and down the road as quickly as I could; I was sure they could afford more, and I would have loved to have seen their reaction when they realised the burgers had vanished. I didn’t want to do it, but I knew I’d have to take care of myself now, however selfish I’d have to be.
  
   I ran to an area that looked deserted and sat under a tree in the shade to rest, and to gather my thoughts. After biting into one of the burgers, I opened the envelope and removed a single piece of heavily browned paper. It looked incredibly old and felt so delicate to my touch; I just hoped it would help me in some way. As I read down the page my life so far began to make sense, and I understood that all the negative things, the messed up parts hadn’t been my fault at all; I’d been controlled like a puppet by a higher being, and every thought, feeling, decision and action I’d ever made had been overridden and fully determined by this man who had signed the letter - Gustav Vega.     

No comments:

Post a Comment